Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Sign In   |   Join MACUHO
Directory Search

Gold Partners

Questions for Association
>
>|
Forum Actions

Topics   Replies Score Author Latest Post
Professional Staff housing agreements 0 A. Edwards Hello all,   Does anyone currently use a housing agreement for their campus for the professional live on staff? I am looking for something that outlines the responsibilities of the college, staff, and any rules on pets, when they are allowed to enter the apartment, etc. I am trying to stop from having to create a new document if possible. If you do have something you can share please send me a private email.   Thanks for your help   Aaron EdwardsDirector of Residential Education Potomac State College of WVU aaron.edwards@mail.wvu.edu  
by A. Edwards
Wednesday, February 20, 2013
Front Desk Staff 0 C. Feminella Greetings, I write to ask how many of you have someone (university staff, safety officer, police, etc) at the front doors of the freshman residence halls and what hours do they work?? Assuming they check the ID of the students as they enter the halls. Much appreciation in advance for sharing this with me. Best wishes for a great start to the fall semester!!! Take care, Catherine
by C. Feminella
Wednesday, August 29, 2012
One on One's 0 C. Lopez Just wondering if anyone has a one on one form that they use to document conversation with paraprofessional staff with the questions they ask!  Thanks!
by C. Lopez
Wednesday, August 8, 2012
Microfridges 2 C. Lopez Thanks Derek! I sent him an email.
by C. Lopez
Tuesday, August 7, 2012
Cleaning over winter break 1 L. Pierotti (Barry) Bedrooms no, but suite/apartment kitchens and bathrooms yes.  We kept having issues where students left the common spaces of a suite or an apartment in unsatisfactory condition went they went home for winter break, and then we had incoming students mid-year that would get placed there, and move in to a location that was not really "move-in ready".  This past year we implemented a new policy where the students living in the suites/apartments were contacted through several methods in November and December to let them know that they needed to remove any personal property from the common areas, clean them, and then Residence Life/Housekeeping would be inspecting.  If a space was not acceptable, they would get charged for the cleaning work to be done.  We also made it clear what the rationale for the change was.  A lot of our students took it seriously and did a good job of cleaning, while naturally there were some that did not.  It worked well for us overall, though...this Spring we did not have any complaints from any mid-year new residents about the bathrooms.
by M. Robbins
Thursday, July 19, 2012
When do you place your First Years? 2 M. Robbins I like the portal idea, we are getting our Colleague/Datatel portal live this summer.  I'll have to see about an option to pull from the assignments information.
by M. Robbins
Thursday, July 19, 2012
Modular Residential Housing 0 A. Nudo Hello MACUHO, I was wondering if anyone out there has any experience using modular housing on their campus for students. We have a situation here where we need some overflow housing to accommodate the extremely high number of students that wish to reside on our campus.  Any information is great appreciated. ThanksAJ NudoMisericordia University
by A. Nudo
Wednesday, May 2, 2012
Alcohol Policy Revision 0 D. Smith We are planning to revise our alcohol limitation policy from "beer and wine" to ABV maximum limits and quantities based on ABV.  (ie, you can have XXfl oz of alcohol up to X%ABV).  Does anyone currently have limitations like this in effect?  What numbers do you use for your limitations?
by D. Smith
Wednesday, February 22, 2012
Call for Presenters 0 M. DePretto Behan Hello MACUHO!  I am excited to be reaching out to all of you today with a professional development opportunity. The Division of Student Life at Drexel University is organizing a retreat for our professional staff around the topic of Student Development. We have staff members from all educational backgrounds, and we want this retreat to be an opportunity for everyone to get some basic as well as more nuanced information about Student Development Theory. That’s where you come in! We are looking for presenters (about 3-4) who can do a 1 hour presentation/workshop. We will take any topic under the Student Development umbrella (racial identity development, Chickering and beyond, sophomore year experience, current trends, etc.). You can let us know which topic you feel most passionate about, since those presentations tend to be the best! We are also looking for a keynote speaker so if you are interested, or you’d like to nominate a colleague please let us know.  The retreat is on Monday, March 26th from 11am-4pm with lunch included, at Drexel’s main campus in Philadelphia. If you’re interested please let me know, and I can answer any additional questions you may have. I’m looking forward to hearing from you! Melissa DePretto Behan Assistant Director/Resident Director Drexel University med87@drexel.edu
by M. DePretto Behan
Tuesday, February 21, 2012
Maturity-Based, Graduated Housing Policies 0 Kathy Kollar-Valovage Colleagues, We are interested in learning about schools that have (or considered) maturity-based, graduated housing policies.  Do you have student housing policies that change as students mature?  For example, students begin living in traditional residence halls with the most restrictive rules but as students become upperclassmen and move to on-campus apartments the rules are a less restrictive/different?  What rules change?  Replies from public schools that receive state funding most appreciated! Anything you can share would be helpful.  Please reply to this post OR to me directly:  kkollar@bloomu.edu THANKSKathy  :-) Kathy Kollar-ValovageBloomsburg University of PAPast MACUHO Secretary
by Kathy Kollar-Valovage
Tuesday, January 10, 2012
Policies for live-in staff with children 1 K. Steinmetz (Mycek) We do not have any specific policies in place for staff members with children, other than a stipulation regarding being on-call.  When on-call, they need to have someone else with them or close by so that they can respond quickly without bringing the child.  So far, our staff members with children have had spouses/fiances living with them, so it was never an issue.  I haven't worked through having a single parent staff member, which would not be a problem, so long as the staff member has adequate care for their child(ren) in the case of being called away for a duty call. Fortunately, all of our campus aprtments for staff are two-bedroom, but until recently, the second bedroom was used as a "home office" in the residence halls.  We recently took a few rooms offline to convert into offices, or constructed new offices in the buildings so that each staff member could make full use of the apartment for personal space.  This has proven to be a very good investment for the staff, especially since we had 3 of 5 staff members living on campus with children.  Let me know if there are more specific questions you have. Derek SmithDirector of Residence LifeDelaware Valley College
by D. Smith
Monday, December 19, 2011
RA Programming 2 E. Adkins Eric,I've attached a powerpoint I created for our spring training last year with different resources I found that may be helpful for students in programming. Rachel
by R. Donohue
Monday, December 12, 2011
AUCHO-I Interns 1 W. Zimmerman Here is the position description and payment information that we used for last summer's internship, let me know if you have any questions.  This was the first year that we did this.  We found that our intern used much less than $500 flex, but our food court is only open 8-2 5 days a week.
by D. Smith
Friday, December 2, 2011
RA Training & RA Contracts 0 A. Nudo Hello MACUHOMy Director recently asked me to looking into revamping our RA Training process and overhaul our RA Contract. I was hoping you might be able to share what you use at your institutions in terms of Training, contracts and also hiring and dismissal procedures. If you would be willing to send information to me at anudo@misericordia.edu, I would greatly appreciate. Looking forward to seeing everyone soon at Annual ConferenceAJ
by A. Nudo
Friday, October 14, 2011
Roommates for MACUHO 0 J. Thorpe Male Grad Student looking for male roommate for MACUHO. Will split costs. Email Jenn at thorpej@chc.edu.
by J. Thorpe
Thursday, October 13, 2011
RA Training during Spring Semester!! 2 S. Laud Hi, At Holy Family we do have a mini spring training.  This year we plan to have students return on a Friday for refreshers on certain things that they may be struggling with like confrontation, incident report writing, or handling difficult students to name a few.  We also do it to try to get students back in the mindset of being RAs and being a part of a cohesive staff so we have also have some staff fun built in like bowling and dinners together.  It also gives them a chance to get in early and work on bulletin boards and door decs.  Our college opens on a Sunday for spring semester so its realistically 1.5-2 days of "training" but thats because we have a 15 person RA staff so we don't need as much time as other larger universities.  As for in-services we've always left that option in during the semester in case we need them.  For example our sexual assault training during summer training didn't quite work out as the presenter didn't show.  So we re-scheduled that for the semester and worked it out that way.  Our mindset is that if something needs to be addressed the RAs are aware that in-services may need to happen and they will need to attend. Rachel
by R. Donohue
Room Condition checks - process and forms 1 A. Downey (Borders) Amy, I'll gladly send you a copy of what we use at Holy Family (it varies slightly depending on what building the students live in). I don't think it's the best form because its very small but it works for us as we haven't experienced a whole lot of damages in years past that require a lot of writing or explanation! Rachel
by R. Donohue
Residence Education vs. Housing Operations 2 A. Downey (Borders) Howdy - We are a campus of 2,600 residents, and in our department our structure is such that both areas are within Residence Life, but we split internally.  We have an Associate Director that supervises 5 Area Coordinators (ACs), the 87 student staff and the resident issues for the area, and an Assistant Director that manages our housing operations and assignments.As a personal note, I find that having both close by helps with a lot of communication issues with roommate and conduct issues bleeding into operations with room moves and such.  It also gives ACs a chance to develop with operations tasks if they choose to assist or participate with lotteries, billing, and liaising with facilities.Dave 
by D. Larson
Wednesday, October 12, 2011
Restorative Justice Training 0 D. Clurman Colleagues, I am pleased to officially announce an exciting training that offers opportunities for both personal and professional development. Restorative Justice (RJ) is a cutting-edge trend, both in campus conduct adjudications as well as the criminal justice system. More and more, the courts are recognizing that empathy-based approaches (as opposed to incarceration) are more cost-effective, promote deeper learning, deter future harmful behavior, and create opportunities for healing the wounds between offenders and their victims. Although RJ has more of a foothold in criminal justice circles, it is "sweeping the nation" among people that work in campus disciplinary roles. For those familiar with the Truth and Reconciliation Commission utilized in the wake of the dismantlement of the South African apartheid regime, this is widely considered a model of Restorative Justice in practice. It is fundamentally a model that brings people into dialogue with each other. Because few people in Student Affairs have been exposed to RJ, we thought we would seek to bring an opportunity for exposure/immersion to campus. On Wednesday, November 2 from 1:30-5:00 PM we will be hosting a symposium in The Commons. The symposium will introduce RJ, model some RJ practices, and talk about strategies for implementing RJ on campus. The cost for the symposium is $40. On Thursday and Friday, November 3 & 4, from 9:00 AM-5:00 PM both days, we will be hosting an in-depth training. Participants will gain a thorough understanding of RJ principles and practices and develop their facilitation skills. The cost is $295 for this training.  However, if 3 or more individuals register from the same institution, the cost is only $245 per person. I have attached a registration form and invite you to share it with any other stakeholders on- or off-campus you think might be interested. Additional information is available at the following site: http://www.umbc.edu/sjp/RJConference.html While the training will use higher education settings as its focus, if we have registrants who work in other venues, the content can be flexibly adapted to those settings, as well. The trainers for this are top-notch (which is why we have to collect a registration fee). We anticipate that seats may fill quickly, so if you are interested, please return the registration form ASAP. Feel free to contact me by phone or e-mail if you have any questions. Regards, -- Jeff Cullen, Ph.D., Director Student Judicial Programs University of Maryland Baltimore County Student Development & Success Center 1000 Hilltop Circle Baltimore, MD 21250 (o) 410-455-2453 FAX 410-455-1456 http://www.umbc.edu/sjp
by D. Clurman
Wednesday, October 12, 2011
Campus Center/Event Services Brochure 0 C. King Hello MACUHO! I have recently moved from working in Residential LIfe and now and planning evening and weekend programs in our brand new Campus Center. My current supervisor has asked me to reach out to colleagues regarding how you are marketing your campus center or events office. Do any of you have a brochure that you can send me via email or snail mail? If you do not use a brochure, how do you let folks know about your services? I look forward to hearing responses! Thanks for your help!
by C. King
Thursday, October 6, 2011
Sign In

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy