Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Sign In   |   Join MACUHO
Directory Search

6/12/2019 » 6/14/2019
Summer Summit

Gold Partners

West Virgina
Group HomeGroup Home Blog Home Group Blogs
Search all posts for:   


View all (2) posts »

Feb Chat & Chew Emotional Support Animals

Posted By Tracey M. Eggleston, Monday, February 8, 2016
Many schools have seen an increase in requests from students living on campus for Emotional Support Animals (ESAs).  Does your campus have a policy in place? What's your process for students seeking approval? If your campus doesn't have a process in place what questions do you have about getting things started?

This post has not been tagged.

Share |
Permalink | Comments (4)

Comments on this post...

Andrew Price says...
Posted Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Here at Shepherd University (WV), we have been welcoming ESAs quite a bit this year. Our policy goes as follows: student requests approval through out Disability Support Services Office; once approved, DSS contacts Residence Life to inform them of the accommodation; res life assesses the best living environment for the student and the pet (for example, cats and dogs will usually live in our apartments while hedgehogs or hamsters can stay in the trad halls); we then have our building supervisors create a sign for the student's door with an image of the pet so the community is aware of its approved presence.

From there, we support the students in need and make sure their ESA is being housed appropriately.

So far, things have been great! Students are supported and we are happy. Hope everyone else if having a similar experience!

-Andrew T. Price, Shepherd University
Permalink to this Comment }

Jessica Lanciano says...
Posted Tuesday, February 9, 2016
To go along with Andrew's comment, if you would like to see Shepherd's paperwork for ESAs or SAs (Service Animals) that our students must complete as part of the process, feel free to email: and I can send you PDFs!
Permalink to this Comment }

Johnny Kocher says...
Posted Monday, February 15, 2016

I am currently working through my fist comfort animal request at Bennett Tower at West Virginia University. The student first contacted our Accessibility Services Office to request the animal. Accessibility Services then contacted Residence Life who spoke with the student about the needs of the student and the requirements for the animal to live in the community.

I was given documentation paperwork from my supervisor and am currently meeting with the student to ensure we getting proper documentation for the animals shots, insurance, and flea/tick medication. After the student finishes providing me with the proper documentation we will have our first comfort dog living in Bennett Tower.

If anyone would like to look at any of our paperwork at West Virginia University for documentation of comfort animals or discuss in more depth our process you can email me at

West Virginia University
Permalink to this Comment }

Jessica Lanciano says...
Posted Monday, February 15, 2016
Hello again!

I just received these resources from my supervisor as well! Feel free to use them!
Permalink to this Comment }

Sign In


Terms of Use | Privacy Policy